Saturday, February 16, 2008

Ya live... ya learn

Sunday- February17th- 1p.m.








It has been threatening to rain all day... so Pei and I decided to stay close to the hotel. The Lamb Restaraunt was close and the food there wasn't bad... also we have to be ready to leave for the tour so we couldn't afford to get lost today... HOWEVER... That's where the where the story gets interesting. Since I didn't want to have the same thing twice. Pei and I ordered Lamb and Melon. Sadly, there was alot to be said for my preconcieved notions of what I was about to partake of. Never the less we waited until our meal had been prepared and placed in to go boxes. I had to wonder what this would taste like, because to me melon is a sweet thing... so... we took our lunch back to the hotel room. Of course Pei was willing to guard it because it was lamb and that is tasty. Never the less we opened our treasure and at first glance were intrigued but not alarmed. At first bite I realised that this was made with what is called bitter melon. It gave the dish a kind of bite kinda like cold strong coffee, but not quite flavored that way. I mixed it with the rice unwilling to rule a food out just because it was a little out of my comfort zone. The next threat to my comfort zone occurred when after the third time of

coming acrossed something not really flavored except kinda briney but both rubbery and crunchy at the same time. I had cleaned off the first small bit so digging some more out,. As I was putting more on my plate, I took a good look at the colors and textures. The bitterness of the dish had already ruled out a repeat performance. Then I found these little devils... I began to laugh really hard and then finished my plate before it all sunk in. You can't see it very well in the picture but they are little fish... heads and all. Not unlike an anchovy, but certainly not as strong in flavor... oh and they were crunchy. In my head the first rule of any cultures cuisine is that they eat it and it doesn't kill them so I'll live. However, eating like a native here is NOT for the timid! Again, I did finish my plate, but sadly I did not finish the whole take out box. Tried it Kept it down- sounds like a success to me. I don't think that it is something I would try again. Not so much because the fishies had their heads but more so because the bitter melon did not have a flavor I liked. Pei didn't seem so willing to guard it after all. Maybe the stuffed lion has more wisdom then I give him credit for. Well, can't say I am not willing to try something. However, pray for me... it sounds like I am gonna need it.
Love,
Heather

No comments: